the unexpected safely
Connecting you to the care you deserve
You have arranged everything you need, including travel protection, to help make your trip to Canada all you hope it will be. If you need to go to the hospital or doctor unexpectedly during your visit, it is important to be prepared.
Canada has one of the most accessible and diverse healthcare systems in the world, but if you do not have Canadian government healthcare coverage, getting emergency medical treatment can be expensive.
Our goal is to provide you with the highest quality assistance and support throughout your travel journey. This includes providing you with important information and advice that is specific to Canada – even before your trip begins.
Seeking Medical Treatment
When You Arrive at the Medical Facility
Recommended Medical Facilities for Care
If you require treatment while in Canada due to a medical emergency, please call Allianz Global Assistance prior to seeking treatment whenever possible. In a life-threatening medical emergency, get to a hospital and have a family member or friend call on your behalf once you’re at the facility.
- Contact Allianz Global Assistance at the phone number found on your wallet card so that we can open a case and assign/provide you with a case number, assist you in finding the nearest appropriate facility, and notify the facility of your arrival on your behalf.
- Ensure you have your case number with you when visiting the medical facility. It is good to have in case you need to call us when you get there.
- Depending on your symptoms, our team of professionals may also refer you to a virtual medical consultation with a physician so you don’t have to leave the comfort of your Canadian residence or other accommodations.
- Clinics provide fast access to care without the long waits associated with emergency room visits at hospitals.
- A walk-in clinic or urgent care clinic is ideal for minor medical emergencies such as infection and rashes, upset stomachs, cuts, bruises, strains, sprains, minor burns, and simple fractures (casting and splinting).
- Let the hospital or clinic you are referred to know that you have a policy with Allianz Global Assistance. We will reach out to the hospital to try to have them bill us directly, rather than you. Please note that a deposit may be taken if you are not a resident of Canada.
- Please remember that payment of the claim is conditional upon the terms and exclusions of the policy. All necessary documentation, including medical records, will be reviewed and assessed in order to determine eligibility under the policy.
- Ask the facility to call Allianz Global Assistance if they have any questions about your coverage. They can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week using the same number on your wallet card.
- If the facility wants to do any investigative or invasive procedures or tests, please call us back so we can ensure that the treatment you are receiving is eligible under your policy – and appropriate for your situation.
Swipe to view more
Enhanced Care Clinic
815 High St #9
Peterborough, ON K9J 8J9
Swipe to view more
Swipe to view more
Travel insurance is subject to eligibility, limitations and exclusions. Travel insurance does not cover everything. For full details and definitions, please refer to the policy or certificate of insurance.
Allianz Global Assistance is the registered business name of AZGA Service Canada Inc. and AZGA Insurance Agency Canada Ltd.
Allianz does not promote, prefer or otherwise recommend the listed hospitals over other hospitals in the region you travel such as to create an unfair market competition or otherwise create an impression of a restraint of trade by suggestion these hospitals to you. Allianz’s aim is to provide you with the information you may consider, in your sole discretion, to choose from a list of hospitals with a high standard of care, professionals and facilities. The decision would be yours regarding the hospital facility you solely choose to visit for your medical care.